Do I Need a Lawyer for My Car Accident?

As personal injury attorneys, we talk to clients on a daily basis regarding their situation after a car accident. We always get asked the same question, “do you think I need to hire an attorney to settle my claim?”  The fact is, if you were involved in a car wreck that was not your fault and you have not suffered any injuries, sometimes there is no need for a lawyer to become involved. Honestly, in situations where you did not suffer any significant injuries, the insurance company will typically offer you a fair settlement to cover expenses, such as a rental car and repairing / replacing your vehicle.

I Wasn’t Injured, But the Insurance Company Isn’t Offering Me a Fair Settlement…

We advise clients all the time about whether or not an insurance company is offering them a fair settlement based on their specific situation. In cases where your car is repairable, the liable insurance company should provide you a rental car and have your vehicle repaired for you by a reputable mechanic or body shop. If your car was totaled in the accident, then the liable insurance company should provide you with a rental car and offer to compensate you for the fair market value of your vehicle. If you have questions about how much your vehicle is worth, the fair market value of your vehicle can be found using an online reference tool such as and/or Kelly Blue Book

If the insurance company refuses to provide you a rental car, refuses to fix your car, or refuses to compensate you the fair market value for your car, you may need to consult a lawyer to settle your claim and the attorneys at Warren & Griffin stand ready, willing and able to assist!

What If I Was Injured in My Car Accident?

If you have been hurt in a car accident that was not your fault, the liable insurance company should pay for all of your medical bills, in addition to providing you with a rental car and repairing / replacing your vehicle. In a case where the at-fault insurance company agrees to pay for all of your medical charges, including potential future charges that may occur, there may be no need for a lawyer to become involved. The problem that arises in these types of cases is the uncertainty of future medical problems. What if your neck or back starts hurting or hurting worse a few months down the road? That could be a long-term result of your car accident and the liable insurance company could be responsible for taking care of the medical bills as well!

As we mentioned, at a minimum, the insurance company for the negligent driver should pay all of your medical bills. But in some cases, in addition to medical charges, you could be entitled to have the liable insurance company offer you compensation for your pain, suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. “Loss of enjoyment of life” means those activities or hobbies that you could not or cannot do because of your injuries, or even have problems doing because of your injuries.

As a rule of thumb, the lawyers at Warren & Griffin recommend never settling a car accident claim with an insurance company until you feel like you are 100% recovered and back to your original state of well-being.

What If I Can’t Afford to Hire an Attorney?

At Warren & Griffin, our primary goal is to help victims of car accidents receive the compensation that they rightfully deserve. For this reason, our attorney fees are contingent upon you receiving compensation for your injuries and / or property damage. In short, if you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid! Also, we offer a FREE, no obligation legal consultation to anyone who has been involved in a car accident and believes they are not receiving a fair settlement from an insurance company. Just remember, it never hurts to make one quick phone call to our office BEFORE you sign a settlement release with an insurance company.  

Think You Have a Claim Against an Insurance Company?

If you think the insurance company is not offering you a fair settlement for your car wreck OR you were injured in a car accident, the attorneys at Warren & Griffin might be able to help you! Email C. Mark Warren at or call our Chattanooga, TN office at (423) 265-HURT (4878).